PARAMETRIC STRUCTURE ANIMATION!

___


At the end of the semester, I decided to redo my parametric structure animation since I didn’t like what I originally created and I felt more confident in my Grasshopper skills.

After experimenting with what I wanted to create I landed on making a galaxy with shooting stars animation. I wanted to have a random and fast moving appearance to the stars to recreate the galaxy effect so I used the ‘random’ function on ‘scale’ to mess with the size of the spheres stars that would generate. I also add moving clouds that I smoothed out using Meshmixer and animated using Grasshopper as well as normal unanimated sphere stars throughout the model to make it look more cohesive. In order to seal the galaxy like appearance however, I changed the background render settings to a galaxy image and I also used a moon wrap I found on NASA's website as the moon’s material. Using what I had practiced in material textures from my first Grasshopper definition, I added a granite texture to the moon to make it feel realistic.


I had a lot of fun creating the gif that I imported into After Effects and messed around with the overall saturation and glow of the gif. I did want to add more effects into the gif but I was worried that the Grasshopper animations would get lost in them so kept it at a minimum. Overall I really enjoy creating gif and I will definitely revisit using Grasshopper in my future work.

Comments