STAR VS THE FORCES OF EVIL: PAPERCRAFT WAND!

___

Final Wand model with The Magic Book of Spells

Context


Star vs the Forces of Evil revolves around Star Butterfly, an interdimensional princess from the planet Mewni, who is sent to Earth to improve her magic using the royal family wand. 

 

Stars wand is powered by a miniature unicorn known as Millhorse who operates it by running on a mill that is sustained by a charger. Once owned by Star, the wand goes through many changes and by its third upgrade, the wand's appearance improves as it is now powered by a Millhorse called “Firstborn'' that star had birthed by using the last remaining magic in the universe after an encounter with a villain.


Star Butterfly's transformation into receiving her third wand
Star Butterfly's third wand

 
Star Butterfly's Third Millhorse "First Born"

Inspiration & my Interpretation

After further research and a couple episode rewatches, I came across a breakdown of Star’s first wand in the book Star and Marco’s Guide to Mastering Every Dimension as well as other details such as the removable charger from the show.


Breakdown of Star's second wand

Despite there not being an in depth look into Star’s third wand compared to the first and second wands, I decided to add inspired elements from her first two wands into the third wand in light of the cartoon.



Discussed in my previous blog posts three weeks ago and five weeks ago, I made so the wand opens up to reveal First Born however, I also added 'Cosmic Importance’ as revealed in the book using Galaxy themed scrapbook paper along with a removable ‘wand charger’ revealed in episode eight of the first season of the show.


As I also wanted the wand to have a 2D cartoon appearance similar to my 3D model , I collected colour coordinated paper as similar as possible to the materials used on my 3D model wand in order to achieve this effect





Construction & Criticism





Seeing the 3D model and the wand in hand, I feel that I was successful in recreating Star Butterfly's wand in regards to the show and my digital model.



After I had worked on an upscaled version of the wand in my previous blog post, I came across issues that were solved once I had  downsized the wand to the desired size.


Issues such as flappy wings and a weak staff were automatically solved. When discussing my piece during the in-class feedback session, I had not received a lot of criticism regarding my prototype, the only suggestion that was made was to figure out a way to keep my wand stable.



However, as the wand stabilized itself when downsized, I still decided to add extra tabs inside of the wand walls to further help with durability and further strength.to get the most accurate sizing for the wand, I also  made a couple more prototypes until I found a size that best fits the one of the show. While working on these prototypes, I also decided to make some other minor improvements to the design such as additionally downsizing First Born and upscaling the devil horns.

Conclusion



Overall, The outcome of this project was very exciting. After trying my hand at creating my own 3D papercraft models, I can see myself creating Star butterfly’s other wands as well as models of completely different nature. Through the multiple prototypes and 3D model building, I am confident in developing my skills further for future projects and prototypes. Despite recreating a piece from an existing show, working on this project was extremely comforting and fulfilling.




Comments