STAR BUTTERFLY PAPERCRAFT WAND: model !

___



Star vs the Forces of Evil revolves around Star Butterfly, an interdimensional princess from the planet Mewni, who is sent to Earth to improve her magic using the royal family wand. Along the way, Star meets an Earth boy named Marco Diaz and goes on many adventures fighting villains and figuring out her destiny.

As someone who suffers from mental health illnesses/disabilities, watching cartoons has become a ‘guide’ as well as a personal coping mechanism for myself whether it's recovering from heavy trauma or taking a weekend off. Although I have many favourite shows, Star vs the Forces of Evil holds a special place as it was the one that introduced me to a healthy coping system and really developed my appreciation for cartoons and different forms of media. Becoming one of my top comfort shows, I have many personal memories and history attached to the show especially with the third season of the show. Due to this, I chose to make a geometric papercraft version of the Star Butterfly’s third wand.



Attempting to get the papercraft wand as similar to Star’s wand, a hack I found helpful was importing an image reference into Rhino and directly going over the image with polylines to get dimensional accuracy. With this method I was able to keep the papercraft wand almost identical to Star’s original wand.








After modelling the papercraft wand I focused on deconstructing and adding tabs to the lower half of the wand.




when creating the final prototype, each template for the wand will be printed on colour coordinated paper.


colours are for visualization

wand in different views



_____


A main plot point in Star vs The Forces of Evil is the journey of Star’s wand. Revealed in previous seasons, the royal family wand is powered by a miniature unicorn known as Millhorse  who operates the wand by running on a mill that is sustained by a charger.


Star's first Millhorse, Pumpkin, running on a mill to power up her wand. This Millhorse is associated with her first wand.

Star’s third wand however, is powered by a third Millhorse called “Firstborn” who was birthed by Star using the last remaining magic in the universe after it was destroyed from an encounter with a villain. Although later seasons do not show Firstborn operating in Star’s wand, I wanted to retain this detail of the show by having my papercraft wand open up to reveal Firstborn as well.


Third Millhorse, Firstborn. This Millhorse is associated with her third wand; the one I modeled.

This is the only appearance of Firstborn alongside Stars wand within the series so I decided to just include it in the papercraft!




++ images



Comments