CNC MOLD POSITIVE: UPDATED PROPOSAL!

___

After revisiting this assignment and talking to my instructor in my sculpture class, I decided to create a piece that would explore the CNC mold positive method more effectively instead.


For this, I made a simple but playful mug that is centered around a star shape. Due to this, I will be able to create a bigger mold and follow the original plaster / ceramic process which I am excited for.

I made the piece solely in Rhino and constructed the shape of the mug on a star shaped curve. In order to make the mug easier to drink out of, I was able to get around that by making the inner shell of the mug a more recognizable star shape and the outer shell a wider, ‘smoother’ finish. I also considered how to make the handle of the mug more interesting and comfortable and thought I could best do that by making it out of a star shape and widening the edges. 

I also scaled up the mug slightly to make it a decent size after it shrinks from drying and firing.

EXTRA VIEWS





MOLD




Overall I'm excited to start working on this piece!

Comments