CNC MOLD POSITIVE: PROPOSAL!

___ As a sculpture major, I’m hoping to create a mini figure based on pop culture and Islamic / Middle Eastern art in combination with my next OBDF project! 


My overall idea is to create a figure of a Muslim character but due to the constraints of constructing the object out of foam and cutting it with a CNC machine, I decided that I will create the base for the character to stand in my OBDF class and create the actual figure in my sculpture class.


With the time crunch ahead on this big project, I focused on creating a finalized version of the model with the goal of minor touch ups. Using Grasshopper, Rhino and Meshmixer I modeled the base in to be a flip-able stand where you can choose to display anyway you would like. The overall design was constructed in Rhino but I took the clouds into Meshmixer and smoothed them out in order to give a more organic appearance. I also followed a tutorial on creating Islamic Art based patterns in Grasshopper and messed around with it to create a design that I liked and displayed it on the backside of the stand.


I plan to have the stand be 2 parts with pegs that fit into the bottom half where the figure will actually be displayed. This means creating a two-part mold for the flip-able stand itself and a one-part mold for the half circle part of the stand where the pegs will fit into. I am going to cast the overall mold in rubber and cast the actual figure / stand in liquid plastic and resin.






Due to cutting the mold in foam and a CNC machine, I am unsure how to go about the scale for the overall piece as I'm not sure how much detail I can get with the drill bits especially when looking at the side of the stand with the pattern but I can definitely scale the pattern to be a better fit or just get rid of the ‘flip-able’ aspect. Looking at the overall design as well, I am unsure on how to divide the mold up at this moment. EXTRA RENDERS



Overall I'm excited to begin working on this project!

Comments