ALGORITHMIC SURFACE MODEL FOR SLA PRINTING!

___

Final render of dollhouse lamp

When thinking about printing my algorithmic surface model, I knew I wanted to recreate the model/atmosphere I made in my previous blog post. Due to only being able to print at about a 4in scale, I decided to make a lamp for a dollhouse instead.


first, second and third version of curves

From the feedback I received from the classmates, I had to add thickness to my model so it can be printed. Originally I was planning to simply Pipe the curves in Grasshopper however I was still running into issues where the BerpMesh function wasn’t working. I then decided to just extrude my model however I had to change the corners of my design to be flat so they would lay against each other instead of sitting edge to edge.


From here I readjusted the scale of my lamp and the lamp holder to be around dollhouse scale. I also flatten the top of the lamp to be able to sit into the lamp holder comfortably.  As I would also like to include the decorative chains with the lamp, my plan is to source similar materials and recreate my overall design from there. Due to this, I added a ‘base’ object that the lamp and ceiling chains can be hung onto as well.
I'm also hoping to create a functional light that can fit into the lamp so I began to research dollhouse light fixtures however it is difficult to adjust my model to account for this change at the moment as I don't have any physical lights yet. Depending on the time frame for this project as well I might not include this element. 

Close-up of lamp structure
Overall SLA printing is something I have been dying to try so I'm looking forward to this project. Exploring Islamic arts and pop culture is also apart of my practice so this assignment is the perfect area for me to explore both especially as this year I have been looking for a way to marry the two themes. As someone who collects toys and has a general interest in them with hopes of working within the industry, being able to create a miniature chandelier for toys inspired by Islamic art is extremely exciting for me.






CLOSE-UP RENDERS
















LAMP RENDERS




TO SCALE RENDER



Comments